Now that you know the importance of staging your home before you sell, it’s time for home staging ideas by walking through your home room by room with a critical eye. You will want to put yourself in the buyer’s shoes and view the room through their eyes. Rooms need to be depersonalized yet decorated, clean, and uncluttered.
Home Staging Ideas
Kitchens and Bathrooms
Kitchens and bathrooms sell homes. Buyers will pay special attention to these areas. It is so important to be sure these rooms are in the best condition possible.
- Kitchens and bathrooms must be immaculate.
- Update appliances, if possible.
- Check all the doors and cabinets to make sure they open smoothly. Repair if needed.
- Tighten doorknobs.
- Re-caulk or re-grout showers, tubs, and sinks.
- Touch-up cabinet paint in bathroom and kitchen.
- Consider upgrading bathroom mirrors.
- Replace missing or broken tiles.
- Replace the garbage disposal, if needed.
- Air out and clean inside of cabinets and under sinks.
- Have countertops tidy with no clutter.
- Wipe down appliances so they shine.
- Make all beds.
- Pick up and put away all clothes.
- Make sure dresser tops are clean and tidy.
- Put away jewelry.
- Hide any personal items.
- Remove family photos.
- Add some fresh flowers.
Living Room/Family Room/Office
- Make sure rooms are clean and tidy.
- Remove all knick-knacks, supplies, notepads, cords, etc.
- Remove family photos.
- Remove pet beds, toys, etc.
- Put away magazines.
- Put the remote controls out of sight.
- Turn off computers.
- Hide any documents with identifying information.
Curb appeal is the first “drive-up” impression for buyers.
- Maintain a regular watering, mowing, edging, and weeding schedule.
- Remove any dead plants and replace with seasonal colorful plants, when appropriate.
- Add fresh mulch to all beds.
- Remove lawn décor and equipment.
- Make sure front porch/entryway is clean and inviting.
- Make sure trees or bushes don’t touch people as they walk up to the front door.
- Make sure sprinklers are working.
- Repaint front door, if needed.
- Power-wash the outside of the house.
- Make sure the porch lighting is working and free of cobwebs and spiders.
- Use outdoor furniture to create inviting spaces.
- The same rules apply to back yard.
Be sure to repair or replace any of the following issues in all areas of your home:
- Worn carpets
- Broken light switches
- Loose door knobs
- Leaky faucets
- Running toilets
- Sticky locks
- Slow drains
- Broken garbage disposal
- Cracks, holes in walls
- Broken screen doors
- Clogged shower heads
- Ripped window screens
- Sticky windows
- Cabinet door knobs
Some of the most important things you can do to prepare your home for sale are quick and easy. Buyers look at everything! They truly imagine themselves living in your property. Paying special attention to these areas will give your property noticeable results.
To hear firsthand from our clients about the power of staging your home, click here. For more information about preparing to sell your home and more home staging tips and insight into staging, contact us anytime at 919-813-6449 or [email protected]. Visit us online at realestateexperts.net.